Communication is one of the essential pillars of the HomeExchange community. Having honest conversations, getting to know each other, trusting each other, and asking questions is essential for the exchange to be a success.
During this global pandemic more than ever, share and agree upon exchange expectations with your exchange partner. It is up to you and your partner to decide how to organize your exchange, so we encourage you to communicate with them and agree on the best solutions for both of you.
Some examples of points to address before your exchange:
- How can we organize the exchange of keys while respecting social distancing guidelines? Many solutions are available to you: drop them off at a local store or in a key box, meet while respecting social distancing requirements and wearing masks, etc.
- Would you like to share any additional cleaning costs related to our welcome? If it reassures you both during this period, consider hiring a professional house cleaner before and after your stay.
- Are there any special household precautions that I should take while I stay in your home? Examples could include removing shoes, cleaning luggage before entering the house, discussing what products can be used on which surfaces, pool maintenance and cleaning, etc.
- How is garbage and recycling collection organized? Where can I throw away my trash before I leave?
- Would you prefer that I bring my sheets or will they be available for me? If you provide the sheets, do you have any recommendations for washing them?
As a host, we recommend updating your home guide with some tips for guests on which products to use for home cleaning. For example, which product should be used for cleaning the kitchen counters, which detergent for washing sheets and towels, etc.
As a host, if you plan to welcome several guests in a row, make sure that a thorough cleaning will be carried out.